SHINee member Key’s comeback is drawing divided responses after official promotional content confirmed his return to group activities. The reaction around the Key comeback controversy has centered on SHINee’s upcoming Seoul concerts and the release schedule for the group’s sixth EP, ‘Atmos,’ following Key’s pause in public activity after a controversy reported late last year.
The current schedule places SHINee back on stage from May 29 to 31 at Seoul’s KSPO DOME, followed by the release of ‘Atmos’ on June 1. The comeback was signaled more directly on May 11, when a schedule film for the EP was released through SHINee’s official channels and showed Key participating in concept scenes tied to the album rollout.1
Key Comeback Reactions Follow Official ‘Atmos’ Schedule Film

The latest wave of attention began with the May 11 schedule film for SHINee’s sixth mini album. SBS Entertainment News reported that Key appeared in the video with weathercaster and field reporter concepts, while the outlet also noted that public reaction was mixed, with some fans expressing support and others questioning the timing of the return.1
Sports Seoul separately reported that Key appeared in the official YouTube content as an anchor, weathercaster, and reporter introducing the comeback schedule. The report connected the appearance to questions over whether he may also resume broader broadcast activity after stopping appearances following the controversy.2
The split response is notable because the comeback is not framed as a solo return, but as part of SHINee’s group calendar. OSEN, in a report carried by Chosun Biz, said all four members, Onew, Minho, Taemin, and Key, appeared in the ‘Atmos’ schedule film. The report described Key’s role in the concept content as including an ‘Atmos TV’ weathercaster and ‘Kim Kibum reporter’ presentation of the comeback timeline.3
Because the sources describe reactions only in broad terms, the available record does not support a precise measure of how many fans supported or opposed the return. What is confirmed is that media coverage has presented the response as divided: support from some fans on one side, and criticism of a fast comeback on the other.1
Concerts and EP Release Set the Return Timeline
SHINee’s return schedule is now anchored by two confirmed dates. The group is set to hold concerts from May 29 to 31 at KSPO DOME in Seoul, then release the sixth EP ‘Atmos’ on June 1. Korea JoongAng Daily reported, citing SM Entertainment, that the EP will include six tracks, including the title track ‘Atmos,’ and that preorders began on May 11.4
The concert title has been reported in full as ‘The Trilogy I – 2026 SHINee World VIII: [The Invert].’ Korea JoongAng Daily listed the venue as KSPO DOME and the dates as May 29 to 31, matching the concert period reported by other outlets.4
Earlier coverage had already framed the concert as a likely comeback point for Key. Xportsnews reported on March 27, based on an SM Entertainment press release, that SHINee would hold its eighth solo concert over the same three-day period at KSPO DOME and said the event appeared likely to become Key’s return stage after his activity pause.5
YTN also reported on April 1 that SHINee would hold ‘THE INVERT’ from May 29 to 31 at KSPO DOME in Olympic Park, Songpa-gu, Seoul. The outlet described the concert as Key’s return to the stage after roughly five months away from activities following the controversy.6
The difference in wording across reports reflects how the timeline has been counted. Some reports describe the return as coming after about five months, while others describe it as six months after the controversy and activity suspension. The central sequence remains consistent across the available sources: the controversy was reported last December, Key paused activities, the concert return was reported for late May, and the EP release is scheduled for June 1.
Background to the Controversy and Public Scrutiny
The controversy referenced in the coverage involved reports that Key had received medical treatment at a hospital and at home. Sports Seoul reported that Key explained during the controversy that he had not recognized home treatment as something that could become an issue. The outlet quoted him as saying, “I did not realize that receiving treatment at home could be a problem,” and also reported his statement that he was “deeply reflecting on my ignorance.”2
The reports do not provide new official details beyond those statements and the current comeback schedule. They do, however, show why the comeback content has drawn attention beyond the usual album rollout. Key’s participation in the official schedule film gave the public a visible sign that his return was moving from expectation to execution.
For SHINee, the timing places the group’s first major stage activity just before the release of a new EP. For Key, it puts his return inside a group project rather than a separate individual announcement. That distinction has shaped the way coverage has described the response: the comeback is being reported through SHINee’s concert and album plans, while public discussion continues to refer back to the controversy that preceded his absence.

With the concerts still scheduled for May 29 to 31 and ‘Atmos’ set for release on June 1, Key’s return remains tied to SHINee’s confirmed group calendar. The public response, as reported so far, remains split between fans welcoming his comeback and critics who view the return as coming too soon.
References
- '주사 이모 논란' 샤이니 키, 활동 중단 6개월 만에 앨범으로 복귀 (SBS연예뉴스, 2026-05-11)
- “나 혼자 산다 돌아오나”…키, 주사 이모 논란 6개월만 복귀 (스포츠서울, 2026-05-12)
- 샤이니 키, 눈썹까지 파격 금발 탈색..5개월만 복귀 완료[핫피플] (조선비즈 / OSEN, 2026-05-11)
- Boy band SHINee to release sixth EP 'Atmos' in June (Korea JoongAng Daily, 2026-05-11)
- 박나래·주사이모 수사 속…샤이니 키, 5개월만 조용히 '복귀 신호탄' [엑's 이슈] (엑스포츠뉴스, 2026-03-27)
- [가요]샤이니 5월 단독 콘서트…키, 5개월 만에 복귀 (YTN, 2026-04-01)