Korean history lecturer Choi Tae-sung has become a central voice in the Perfect Crown controversy after criticizing the historical verification system behind MBC drama 21st Century Grand Prince’s Wife. The dispute grew from an enthronement scene in episode 11, aired on May 15, where viewers objected to the use of “cheonse” instead of “manse” and the appearance of a nine-bead ceremonial crown, or guryu myeonryugwan, in a setting tied to royal authority.1
The production team issued an official apology on May 16 and said the relevant audio and subtitles would be revised as quickly as possible for rebroadcasts, VOD and OTT services.2 The issue has since widened beyond viewer criticism, drawing responses from Choi, the cyber diplomacy organization VANK, and the drama’s leading actors.
Choi Tae-sung Questions Production Verification

Choi Tae-sung addressed the controversy on social media with the short remark, “Phew, another historical-distortion controversy,” before criticizing how productions allocate attention and resources to historical review.1 His comments, reported by Donga Ilbo, focused less on a single prop or line and more on the broader production environment in which historical dramas are made.
The criticism landed at a sensitive point because the scene involved symbols that viewers and civic groups said could be read as markers of national status and historical identity. Reports identified two main elements: the use of “cheonse” in a royal enthronement setting, and the use of a nine-bead crown where critics argued a twelve-bead form would be historically appropriate for the context being invoked.3
The production team acknowledged the criticism in its May 16 statement. It said the drama, as an alternate-history work where a fictional world and real historical context intersect, required more careful review. The team stated, “We lacked the effort to refine the worldview precisely and examine it more closely,” and said it would humbly accept viewers’ criticism.2
That official response did not end the debate. Instead, it shifted attention to how the corrections would be applied across platforms and whether overseas viewers would continue to encounter the original version.
Official Apology and Platform Corrections
The production team’s announced remedy covered rebroadcasts, VOD and OTT distribution, with a promise to correct the affected audio and subtitle elements as quickly as possible.2 The available source material does not state that all corrections had been completed by May 19, 2026.
VANK, the cyber diplomacy organization, launched a campaign urging Disney+ to correct the disputed scene. The group argued that the “cheonse” wording and guryu myeonryugwan imagery in the May 15 royal enthronement scene could distort how Korean history and national identity are understood by international audiences.4
Park Ki-tae, head of VANK, warned that “even one small expression can be accepted by people around the world as Korea’s actual history.”4 VANK said that as of 3 p.m. on May 17, the scene was still being provided without correction on Disney+ global OTT service.4
The global distribution context sharpened the concern. MoneyToday reported that Disney+ said the drama became the most-watched Korean series worldwide on the platform during its first 28 days after release.3 That reach made the disputed scene more than a domestic broadcasting issue for critics who saw the images and wording as potentially misleading outside Korea.
The controversy also came as the drama was ending with strong audience figures. MoneyToday reported that 21st Century Grand Prince’s Wife finished with a 13.8 percent nationwide rating for its finale, while OSEN also reported the final episode’s 13.8 percent figure based on Nielsen Korea nationwide households.35 The historical-distortion debate, however, became a major part of coverage after the finale.
Wider Responses After the Finale
Reports after the finale showed that the criticism was not limited to the production team. Donga Ilbo reported that lead actors IU and Byeon Woo-seok each posted apologies on social media after the dispute. Byeon said there had been insufficient consideration of the drama’s historical context and how viewers would receive it, while IU apologized for not thinking more deeply about historical verification issues.6
OSEN also reported that IU made remarks in the spirit of an apology at a finale viewing event, referring to a sense of responsibility. The same report noted that criticism continued after the drama ended and also mentioned controversy over some tea ceremony scenes, in addition to the enthronement scene involving the crown and wording.5
The confirmed record therefore shows a sequence of events: the episode 11 scene aired on May 15, the production team apologized on May 16, VANK said the global OTT version remained uncorrected as of 3 p.m. on May 17, and Choi Tae-sung’s criticism was reported on May 18.124 The sources do not provide a completed correction timeline for every platform.

The Perfect Crown controversy, centered on Choi Tae-sung’s critique and the disputed enthronement scene, remains a case study in how fictionalized historical settings can face scrutiny when they overlap with recognizable symbols of national history. The production team has apologized and promised revisions, while civic and public criticism has kept attention on whether those corrections reach both domestic and global viewers.
References
- “출연료는 몇억, 고증엔 몇십만원”…최태성, ‘대군부인’ 역사왜곡 일침 (동아일보, 2026-05-18)
- '21세기 대군부인' 역사 왜곡 논란 사과 "노력 부족..질책 겸허히 수용" [공식] (스포츠조선, 2026-05-16)
- 13.8% 화려한 퇴장, 씁쓸한 뒷맛… '21세기 대군부인'이 남긴 것 (머니투데이, 2026-05-17)
- "천세·구류면류관, 반크도 나섰다"…디즈니+에 '21세기 대군부인' 역사왜곡 시정 촉구 (파이낸셜뉴스, 2026-05-18)
- 역사왜곡 ‘대군부인’ 초토화…아이유는 울고 이재원은 인터뷰 취소하고[Oh!쎈 이슈] (OSEN, 2026-05-18)
- “역사 고민 부족했다”…아이유·변우석, ‘대군부인’ 논란에 고개 숙여 (동아일보, 2026-05-18)